Why

I wanted a place to put how I use my Bountiful Basket. This seemed like the best way to go. I know 3 blogs might just actually kill me but people look and want ways to eat healthier and cheaper. Bountiful Baskets has helped me implement healthier options into my families diet. We eat better and have a variety of new foods that we try. I have also been able to drop my grocery bill a ton by using bountiful baskets. I hope that this blog gives you ideas on how to use your basket each week.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

april 30, 2011

Apple, Banana, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Corn, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Strawberries, Watermelon, Yams, Cucumber, Green Peppers
Post image for Bountiful Baskets Roundup
This was not taken from my basket I found it on another blog so some items may be different.
 
 
How to Ripen Green Bananas



bananas How to Ripen Green Bananas Many times, the only choices for bananas at your grocery store are bright green, hard bananas that were clearly not ripe yet when they were picked.  There is an easy way to fix this! We’ll teach you how to ripen green bananas that takes minimal effort and you don’t have to spend any money on specialized kitchen tools to use this trick.  This kitchen tip will also allow you to ripen other produce as well.
When you are buying unripe bananas at the grocery store, ask the cashier at checkout for a full-sized paper grocery bag.  Once home, put the green bananas into the paper bag.  Close the top of the paper bag and roll it down to keep it from opening back up.  Keep rolling the paper bag down until you reach the bananas.  The goal here is to make sure that there is as little empty space inside the paper bag as possible.  You can put more than one bunch of bananas in the bag at the same time.  In fact, this will even speed up the ripening process.

Why it Works

Here’s why this works: bananas (and many other fruits) give off a gas called ethylene gas.  Ethylene gas is a plant hormone that causes “growth”.  What this means for produce is that any fruits or vegetables exposed to ethylene gas will have accelerated ripening.  You can use ethylene gas to your advantage in certain cases, by allowing it to ripen fruits and vegetables that were picked before their prime.
Produce that gives off ethylene gas itself can be enclosed in a container or bag, and essentially trapped in the gas it produces to speed up ripening.  Fruits and vegetables that do not produce ethylene gas can also benefit from this method.  To ripen them, simply place them in a bag or container with an ethylene gas producing fruit or vegetable, such as bananas, apples, peaches, avocados, pineapples or tomatoes.

I know I still have several very hard and green bananas that I need to have a paper bag to ripen up. 


Apples, watermelon, strawberries and pineapple are easy to give your kids at snack time.  I cut them all up and have bowls of them ready to eat.  Have them in some baggies so when you have to run errands you can just grab a few and have them ready for when the kids are hungry.

I didn't do a recipe for the apples because we ate them all gone in our living room picnic lunch on Saturday.
and I would love to have someone tell me what they did with their cucumbers.
We will be eating corn on the cob with dinner tonight.  It is my favorite.



beef and broccoli stir fry
use: broccoli
use from the past: onion
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Beef-Broccoli-Stir-Fry
Beef Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe

fried Cauliflower
Use: cauliflower

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/fried-cauliflower/Detail.aspx

Fried Cauliflower Recipe
if you have eaten at Lon's Cooking Shack these are fabulous. 

Candied yams
use: yams
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/candied-yams/Detail.aspx
I made a very small batch and they taste fabulous. something different than potatoes.





Watermelon ice
Use: watermelon

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Watermelon-Ice

Watermelon Ice Recipe

Grilled Pineapple
use:pineapple
http://kierasrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/07/tucanos-pineapple.html



Skinny Strawberries Romanoff
use: Strawberry
super simple and tastes fantastic
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/skinny-strawberries-romanoff.html




Broiled grapefruit
use: grapefruit

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/broiled-grapefruit/Detail.aspx


I am not a fan of grapefruit, but this is on my list of "trys" this week.

Green Bell Peppers Pizza
use: peppers
use from past: onions

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/159100/pepperoni-pizza-with-peppers




How did you use your basket this week? I love ideas and suggestions.

7 comments:

  1. Great blog with lots of great ideas to use our items from our basket. I also post recipes on my blog that use different items from my basket. Check it out. www.4peatssake.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious...how was the grapefruit? I still have mine and I need to do something with them. Love your blog, so glad that Bountiful Baskets posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the watermelon icee idea. I'm making strawberry-mango salsa this week, check out my bliss blog for recipe, and I put the broccoli in with chicken alfredo last night, and the night before we grilled some pineapple to make teriyaki burgers with sweet potato fries. It was all delicious! Thank you for all your great ideas, you are very talented at this! And yes, I'm still planning on picking up your basket this week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for building this site - a little extension of the co-op community of BB! A little healthier way to use cauliflower. and I can't wait to make this salad for lunch tomorrow to use my cukes! with this dressing (scaled to 5 servings)
    We had corn, pineapple and strawberries with dinner last night YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi... great blog. Some things I've made so far yam fries. I cut them up like fries, coat them in olive oil, put some sea salt on and bake them on a cookie sheet single layered for 20-25 min. Turn them once and bake for 20-25 min. or until a little bit crisp. Yummy! I also made stuffed peppers.http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers/Detail.aspx And I make smoothies every morning with the fruit and some of the veg (cucumbers and celery).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my bananas in a closed bag with 6 apples since Saturday (it is Friday today). They are all still green. Any other ideas to help it go faster? Will we ever be able to eat the bananas we get from BB?

    ReplyDelete